DIA Fleet Course
Becoming a DVSA registered fleet trainer is just one of the ways you can enhance your existing skills and knowledge as an ADI to diversify your business. This specialised role promotes occupational road safety for people who drive for work.
Occupational drivers are statistically at higher risk of being involved in road incidents and crashes. They spend longer periods of time on the road than the average driver and regularly drive whilst experiencing stresses such as traffic, time pressures and fatigue.
Fleet Trainers work 1-2-1 or 2-1 with occupational drivers, both in class and on the road, to help improve their road safety. Fleet trainers demonstrate how to carry out appropriate vehicle checks to ensure vehicles are safe and legal. In the case of company owned vehicles, trainers ensure that their clients understand company policies for recording or reporting vehicle faults and reiterate the importance of recognising their responsibilities as a driver.
So why become a Fleet Trainer?
The DIA’s DVSA Accredited Fleet Course equips you with everything you need to apply for your DVSA Fleet Licence.
As a registered Fleet Trainer, you have the opportunity to:
- Improve the driving habits and safety of occupational drivers
- Expand your client base beyond learner drivers to work with experienced drivers
- Generate additional income streams
- Add more variety to your career as a driver trainer
- Embark on training with some of the UK’s most exciting and prominent brands and companies
Course dates to be announced shortly. If you are interested in qualifying as a fleet trainer and would like to know more about the course please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Course start date: Enrolment on this course takes place between 6th – 17th August 2018. You must complete Modules 1-3 before you can start Module 4 (in-car module)
Dates for Module 4 at DIA Crawley: 28th – 30th August 2018
Summer: Fully booked
Autumn: 1 space remaining
Dates to be confirmed shortly. If you are interested in qualifying as a fleet trainer and would like to know more about the course please contact email@example.com.
*Course dates are subject to change. We require a minimum of two attendees for course to run.
Take advantage of our summer special offer!
DIA Fleet Course is now only £450 (usually £896) saving you £396.
Includes all four modules. This fee does not include the £120 DVSA registration fee.
This modular course includes the following:
- DIA Fleet Theory test
- Diamond Elite test
- DIA Award in Business Knowledge OR DIA Award in Vehicle Knowledge
- Eyesight checks
- Vehicle checks
- Fault finding, analysis and remedial action from a coaching perspective
- Presentation skills
- Report writing
- Final assessment
The ADI must:
- You must take the Diamond Fleet test, or the Diamond Elite test as part of the fleet course
- Have an understanding of the aims and benefits of coaching, and be confident in applying coaching techniques in car
- Have experience of delivering presentations
- Have an understanding of learning styles
- Have an understanding of the National Standards for Driver and Rider Training
- National Standards for Category B Vehicles
- Be an ADI for a minimum of 2 years and have gained some experience with training full licence holders
- Have your own laptop and be familiar with using Microsoft PowerPoint to deliver a short pre-prepared presentation (we will send you this prior to the in-car module)
You’ll have to read a number plate from a distance of:
- 26.5 metres for vehicles with a new-style number plate
- 27.5 metres for vehicles with an old-style number plate
- New-style number plates start with 2 letters followed by 2 numbers, eg AB51 ABC.
- You must use glasses or contact lenses during the whole test if you need them to read the number plate.
ADIs will need to complete all four modules successfully in order to apply to the DVSA for their fleet licence. The cost of the DVSA fleet licence is £120 and is not included in the DIA Fleet Course fee. Please refer to the section below on ‘How to apply to the DVSA for your fleet licence’ for further information.
Module 1: DIA Fleet Theory test
The fleet theory test consists of 100 multiple-choice questions. It covers the Highway Code and a range of occupational driving subjects:
- Driving practices and procedures, road and traffic signs, and motorway driving
- Driver attitude, the law, and environmental issues
- Vehicle dynamics and handling, and accident procedures
- Instructional coaching techniques, and hazard perception.
This is a written exam and must be taken and completed at the DIA. You must bring along photographic identification on the day of the exam. Failure to provide suitable ID will result in loss of the fee for this module, and a new date will need to be arranged.
Module 2: Diamond Elite test
The Diamond Elite test ensures your driving meets the high standards required for the DVSA fleet register.
The Diamond Elite test includes and assesses commentary skills, which helps to prepare you as an effective trainer. This training skill is an essential when providing developmental training to occupational drivers.
We use our network of DVSA approved Diamond examiners across the UK and endeavour to book your test as near to your location as possible. Alternatively, you can undertake your Diamond training and test from DIA HQ in Crawley, West Sussex.
Module 3: Award in Business Knowledge OR Award in Vehicle Knowledge
Module 3 is an elective module, with a choice of either the Award in Business Knowledge OR Award in Vehicle Knowledge module. It is recommended you choose the award you feel holds the most relevance to you. Both are research-based, e-learning awards. You will be provided with a comprehensive reading list that you can study in your own time around any diary commitments.
If you already hold one of these Awards, it is possible to use it towards the DIA Fleet Course as approved prior learning**, providing it is valid. Both these Awards also form part of the Diploma in Driver Education (DipDE) and can be used towards this qualification.
Module 4: In Car Module, Presentations and Final Assessment
Modules 1 – 3 must be completed prior to starting Module 4. This module takes place over 3 days, at DIA HQ, Crawley.
The final part of the Fleet Course, this module teaches and assesses essential fleet training skills to provide ADIs with a solid foundation to apply for their Fleet Licence.
Course content and competencies cover report writing, delivering presentations in car and classroom, performing relevant licence, eyesight and vehicle checks, as well as how to give driving demonstrations and to use a blend of training approaches.
ADIs will be sent one of our DIA Fleet Presentations prior to commencing the module. You will be asked to present this short presentation to a small group in a classroom environment, as well as in the car. Fleet trainers will often be required to deliver short presentations in this way.
You can send the form to DVSA if you’ve already successfully completed the DIA Fleet Course. You’ll need to include:
- The registration fee of £120
- Your driving licence number if you have a photocard driving licence, or a passport-style photo if you have an old-style paper licence
- A copy of your course certificate
You must have done the course within the last year. You must register with DVSA within 12 months of completing the course, otherwise your Fleet Course certificate will become invalid.
The DIA Fleet course costs £450* for Summer 2018. This includes all four modules. This fee does not include the £120 DVSA registration fee.
Please speak to us before you book the course if you have already passed your Diamond Elite test and/or hold either the DIA Award in Business Knowledge or DIA Award in Vehicle Knowledge.
Not a DIA member?
Why not join the UK’s biggest association of professional driving instructors.
Terms and conditions
By purchasing this course you agree to the following terms and conditions:
Currently DIA Fleet courses are held from DIA HQ in Crawley, West Sussex.
Cancellation and Refund Policy
Eligible for full refund if cancellation occurs within seven days of booking. Thereafter refunds will not be considered.
You must complete all 4 modules of the DIA Fleet Trainer course with DIA. The modules are:
• DIA Fleet Theory test
• Diamond Elite Car test
• Award in Business Knowledge OR Award in Vehicle Knowledge
• In-car module and assessment
Duration and time limits for completion
DIA Fleet Theory test: This is a written exam style module conducted under exam conditions. You must bring suitable photo ID before being allowed to sit this test.
- A maximum of four driving faults
- One manoeuvre
- No emergency stop
- Ten minutes of descriptive talk through
- Duration 60 minutes approx.
The Diamond Elite test comprises of:
- A maximum of two driving faults (which cannot be repeated faults)
- Two reversing exercises
- No emergency stop
- 15 minutes of descriptive talk through
- Duration 90 minutes approx.
Award in Business Knowledge OR Award in Vehicle Knowledge: You will need to complete either the Award in Business Knowledge or the Award in Vehicle Knowledge as part of the DIA Fleet Trainer course**, prior to the final In Car module and assessment. This is a home-learning module and the answers are research based. You have 28 days to complete this module. Once complete, both Awards contribute towards the DIA Diploma in Driver Education (DipDE). This means that if you are looking to work towards the DipDE, you will be able to use either the Award in Business Knowledge or the Award in Vehicle Knowledge as approved prior learning towards this.
In-car module: This module can only begin once Modules 1-3 (DIA Fleet Theory, Diamond Elite car test, Award in Business Knowledge/Vehicle Knowledge) are successfully completed. Taking place over 3 days (part in-car, part in-classroom) with continual assessments and the final assessment will take place on the afternoon of the last day. You will receive your result on the final day of the course. If successful, you will be provided with a certificate enabling you to apply to the DVSA for your official Fleet Licence.
**If you already hold the DIA Award in Business Knowledge or DIA Award in Vehicle Knowledge, you can use these qualifications towards the relevant modules of the DIA Fleet Trainer course.
Applying for DVSA Fleet Licence
On completion of the course, ADIs may apply for their DVSA Fleet Licence. The DIA Fleet Trainer course fee does not include the DVSA’s £120 registration fee.